Blogging @ CNM

Central New Mexico Community College

Let’s Talk Convocation, Poetry and One of the Most Important Professions in the World

15 Comments

Hello CNM!

It was fantastic to see so many of you at Convocation last week!

I hope you enjoyed the program, especially the powerful poetry that was performed by some amazing poets. I was moved and inspired by their words, so many of which were in honor of faculty. I hope you were too.

We all know that teaching is one of the most honorable and important professions in the world. It’s fundamental to human progress, in every sense. Everybody knows this, yet too often it’s taken for granted. It deserves to be honored, appreciated and celebrated much more often.

At CNM, we know that our faculty members are awesome and second to none. We know that they make our community a better place to live. And we know that they give our students the best chance to reach their potential and have a successful life. At this year’s Convocation, we wanted to show our appreciation for our faculty.

But it’s always fantastic to hear people outside of the education community trumpet the prolific importance of teachers, like Albuquerque Poet Laureate Hakim Bellamy did so powerfully at Convocation.

If you missed his performance of his inspiring poem, “Stand,” or if you would like to see it again, click here.

I’d really like to hear your thoughts on this year’s Convocation and the poets who performed – Hakim Bellamy, Taylor Mali, faculty member Don McIver, and our two terrific students, Mike Kimball and Sirena Rayes.

And I’d also like to hear any thoughts you’d like to share about our faculty or the noble profession of teaching. Please post your thoughts and let’s have a conversation.

Thanks, Kathie

15 thoughts on “Let’s Talk Convocation, Poetry and One of the Most Important Professions in the World

1. I really enjoyed this year’s Convocation. This is only my second year at CNM, but the speeches and division activities were very motivating and energizing. Kudos to MCO for doing a wonderful job with the guest speaker.

2. The Poetry was great. I thought our two students were really good.

3. All the poets were wonderful! I especially enjoyed Taylor Mali – he is not only a poet but a stand-up comedian as well. Convocation this year was interesting, entertaining and inspiring. Thanks to all.

• I so appreciate when people can provide such strong messages in a way that makes us laugh – especially when we can laugh at ourselves.

4. Convocation created lots of good conversation this year! Everyone I talked with was inspired by the poetry and impressed by the statistics showing CNM’s positive influence on our community.

5. Thank you, Dr. Winograd and CNM Staff, for a wonderfully stimulating convocation this year! The energy could be felt among all and it was nice to turn to your neighbor and smile and, in fact, get a little choked up at times. The culture change for CNM as an awesome “Community College” has been such a boost for our pride as support employees. THANK YOU!

• I love the line “it was nice to turn to your neighbor and smile and, in fact, get a little choked up at times” – that reflects on all of our daily experiences at CNM and I love that convocation reminded us of that.

6. On a positive note, convocation was inspiring and extremely worthwhile. I am really sorry that some of my colleagues missed it! On a less positive note for my current position, I was so inspired by Taylor Mali and Hakim Bellamy that I have begun to contemplate a career in Slam Poetry :o) :o) :o)

7. I loved the poetry this year – and that teaching was the focus of our convocation because that is the heart of what we do! And as our poets so brilliantly stated, we give hope for a brighter tomorrow to many students and their families.

8. I’m in my tenth year at CNM, and have attended every convocation we have had. This was bar none the best one yet! All the presenters were awesome, particularly Taylor Mali. I’ve shared his video with students, with friends, even my grandparents; every time I watch it, it inspires me. It was motivating, uplifting, and reminds us all of what an important role we have here at CNM!
    Thank you to MCO and everyone else who made this event a great success!

Link to YouTube Video of Taylor Mali:

• Thanks for your comments. Our teachers make such a difference in the lives of the CNM students, I am glad we were able to celebrate that in such a fun way.